In celebration of Earth Day on Saturday, April 22, St. Louis CITY SC is reinforcing its commitment to environmental responsibility with numerous initiatives, programs and partnerships to reduce landfill waste and conserve our natural resources.
“We have one planet and it is our duty to protect it and ensure its vibrancy for generations to come,” said Matt Sebek, Chief Experience Officer, St. Louis CITY SC. “Environmental sustainability is everyone’s responsibility, including ours as a club, and it is our goal to inspire and lead our community in these practices through our season, on Earth Day, and beyond.”
Our CITY Sustainability Program
Our CITY is St. Louis CITY SC’s sustainability initiative which focuses on taking action to reduce our environmental impact through multiple initiatives at CITYPARK, including:
- CITYPARK is a zero-waste, zero single-use plastic stadium and implements on-site recycling and composting programs, as well as energy efficiency and water conservation initiatives. CITYPARK is of the few stadiums in the country to make the commitment, and the first in St. Louis.
- The stadium has 211 custom waste receptables to capture compost, recycling and landfill materials.
- CITYPARK features 100% LED efficiency lighting and control system; high efficiency HVAC equipment; and native plant landscaping.
- Food is served in compostable containers and flatware. Beverages are served in aluminum bottles or signature CITY aluminum cups.
- All restroom hand towels are compostable.
- In partnership with Operation Food Search, CITYPARK has an in-stadium food rescue program, which is estimated to divert 3,000 lbs. of food per year from landfills to families’ tables.
- CITYPARK’s campus includes over 100 bike parking spots and 27 electric car charging stations in its adjacent parking garage.
One Planet Jersey
CITY SC will join fellow MLS clubs in sporting adidas One Planet jerseys during Earth Day weekend for their match against Colorado Rapids on Saturday, April 22 in Denver. The jerseys serve as a reminder that we all share one planet, so we all have a role in taking care of it.
The One Planet jersey is made entirely out of Parley recycled ocean plastic, which is upcycled plastic waste intercepted from beaches and coastal communities. The design is a nod to the jersey’s materials being sourced directly from plastics that were diverted from reaching our oceans and incorporates some topographical maps from the ocean floor.
The One Planet jersey is now available at MLSstore.com as well as CITY Pavilion, located at 2118 Market Street in Downtown St. Louis. The jersey will also be available at the in-stadium team store, CITY Goods, during the Saturday, April 29 home match vs. Portland.
Join the CITY Sustainability Pledge
CITY SC encourages fans to take the Our CITY pledge, designed to encourage fans to practice waste reduction and recycling at our matches and in their everyday lives.