FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Philadelphia Mayor, Athletes & Sports Industry Leaders
to Speak at 2019 Green Sports Alliance Summit
Full program announced for the Green Sports Alliance Summit set
for June 19-20 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.
May 7, 2019: (Portland, OR) – The 2019 Green Sports Alliance Summit is set to take place June 19-20 at the home of the Philadelphia Eagles, Lincoln Financial Field. The Summit is the largest and most influential gathering for the sports community to unite around sustainability, bringing together hundreds of industry stakeholders to learn and share better practices and the latest innovations in greening operations, advancing the supply chain, engaging fans, and more.
“The Alliance is excited to bring our 9th annual Summit to Philadelphia and Lincoln Financial Field—it’s a homecoming of sorts for the sports greening movement,” said Roger McClendon, Executive Director of the Green Sports Alliance. “The Eagles and Lurie Family have been instrumental in leading the way towards a more sustainable future and we’re looking forward to showcasing their work and others’ throughout the Summit program. Collectively, we will reflect on our past accomplishments, celebrate our current successes, and make a renewed commitment to play for the future of the next generation.”
This year’s Summit theme, PLAYING FOR THE NEXT GENERATION, will focus on working together to harness the immense cultural influence of sports to make positive change for greener fields and stadiums, and healthier cities and communities, globally and locally.
The Mayor of the City of Philadelphia, James F. Kenney will be addressing attendees from the main stage. Since taking office in 2016, Mayor Kenney has implemented a progressive agenda that supports working families and creates more opportunities for the city’s children. Mayor Kenney will speak to the importance of equity and sustainability in ensuring a brighter future for the City of Philadelphia and the world.
Several keynotes are scheduled throughout the 2-day Summit program. Federico Addiechi, Head of Sustainability & Diversity at FIFA, will provide remarks focused on sustainability and the FIFA World Cup. Mike Zimmer, President of the Miami Superbowl Host Committee, will discuss sustainability initiatives, environmental stewardship, and legacy components of the upcoming 2020 Super Bowl. Bill Reed, Principal, Integrative Design Inc. and Regenesis, will close the Summit and leave attendees inspired to make positive change within their organizations and communities.
Mainstage plenary panels round out programming including: a panel focusing on the Role of Sports in Environmental Justice Reform featuring Kunal Merchant (Managing Director of Lotus Advisory) and Mustafa Santiago Ali (Co-Host, Hip Hop Caucus’ “Think 100% – The Coolest Show on Climate Change” & former Senior Vice President of Climate, Environmental Justice & Community Revitalization); an Athlete Panel discussing How Athletes are Using the Role Model Status to Positively Influence the Next Generation with Arielle Gold (Olympic Champion Snowboarder) Ryan Mundy (Founder of SWZLE and Former NFL Pittsburgh Steelers Player), and more; and a fireside chat centering on the Role of Sport in Civic Engagement & Sustainability Policy featuring Charlie Gay (Solar Energy Technologies Office Director at the Department of Energy), Kyle Lierman (CEO of When We All Vote and former White House Policy Advisor), Perfecto Sanchez, (Founder of Keep the Change Consulting), and moderated by Cyrus Wadia (Former Vice President at Nike and Assistant Director at The White House).
The Thought Leadership Forum on the mainstage will highlight Corporate Sustainability Leadership Propelling Sports Through Private Sector Innovation with a wide variety of private sector leaders examining corporate sustainability trends, initiatives, and vision with an eye to their application to the sports industry. Women, Sports & the Environment, now in its seventh year, will discuss Coaching for Culture: Youth Experiences for the Next Generation, Today, featuring a powerhouse panel of women leaders in the sports industry.
About the Green Sports Alliance
The Green Sports Alliance leverages the cultural and market influence of sports to promote healthy, sustainable communities where people live and play. The Alliance inspires professional sports leagues, sports governing bodies, colleges, teams, venues, their partners and millions of fans to embrace renewable energy, healthy food, recycling, water efficiency, safer chemicals and other environmentally preferable practices. Alliance members now number nearly 600 organizations and fans representing 15 leagues in 14 countries. Visit greensportsalliance.org for more information.
The Green Sports Alliance Summit will be held June 19-20, 2019 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, PA. Registration is open online at greensportsalliance.org/summit. Student pricing and special rates are available. Sponsorship opportunities are available; view the overview here. Please contact Savannah Mallo at email@example.com for more information.
Among the Confirmed Speakers Are:
- Federico Addiechi | Head of Sustainability & Diversity, FIFA
- Paul Douglas | Senior Meteorologist, Founder & President, Praedictix
- Edgar Farrera | Director of Sustainability, Circuit of The Americas / Formula 1 US Grand Prix
- Eric Fine | Project Manager, Yale Program on Climate Change Communication
- Doug Gatlin | CEO, Green Seal
- Charlie Gay | Solar Energy Technologies Office Director, Department of Energy
- Arielle Gold | Olympic Champion Snowboarder
- Richard Grab | Senior Executive Chef, Philadelphia District, Aramark
- Alterra Hetzel | Business Partnerships Manager, The Conservation Fund
- Nick Igdalsky | CEO, Pocono Raceway and Director, The Mattioli Foundation
- Scott Jenkins | General Manager, Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- Emy Kane | Director of Digital Strategy, Lonely Whale
- James F. Kenney | Mayor, City of Philadelphia
- Melanie LeGrande | Vice President, Corporate Social Responsibility, Major League Baseball
- Jami Leveen | Director, Communications & Strategic Partnerships, Aramark
- Kyle Lierman | CEO, When We All Vote & Former White House Policy Advisor
- Jonathan Lowe | SVP, Business Development & Brand Strategy, LA Kings & AEG Sports
- Ryan Mundy | Founder of SWZLE, Former NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Madeleine Orr | Founder & Co-Director, The Sport Ecology Group
- Bill Reed | Principal, Integrative Design, Inc. and Regenesis
- Perfecto Sanchez | Founder, Keep the Change Consulting
- Mustafa Santiago Ali | Co-Host, Hip Hop Caucus’ Think 100% – The Coolest Show on Climate Change and Former Senior Vice President of Climate, Environmental Justice & Community Revitalization
- Andrew Singer | Vice President of Retail, Constellation
- Jamie Slotterback | Director of Design Development, Aramark
- Colin Tetreault | Global Sports Scholar, Arizona State University
- Norman Vossschulte | Director of Guest Experience, Philadelphia Eagles
- Cyrus Wadia | Former Vice President, Nike and Assistant Director, The White House
- Ashley Walsh | Founder, Pocono Organics
- Mike Zimmer | President, Miami Super Bowl Host Committee
2019 Summit Highlights:
- Philadelphia Green Sports Tours – Phillies/Citizens Bank Park, Wells Fargo Center and Lincoln Financial Field on June 18th
- Thought Leadership Forum Corporate Sustainability Leadership: Propelling Sports Through Private Section Leadership
- Women, Sports and the Environment Coaching for Culture: Youth Experiences for the Next Generation, Today
- Green Sports Alliance Environmental Leadership Award, Innovators of the Year Awards, Green Sports Celebration, and A Taste of Philadelphia the evening of June 19th
- Collegiate poster session in the Vendor Showcase featuring sports greening projects
- Young & Emerging Professionals programming including round table discussions and Q&A panels
- 12 Breakout Sessions
- Vendor Showcase
- And much more!
Breakout Session Topics:
- Sports, Carbon & Climate
- Playing for the Next Generation: Youth Engagement Programs
- Water Reclamation on College Campuses
- Fueling the Next Generation of Athletes and Fans through Food
- Monetizing Sustainability: Converting Operations into Assets to Increase Revenues
- Waste & Large-Scale Events
- The Role of Sport in Resilience & Climate Preparedness
- Cleaner & Greener: Responsible Procurement
- Speaking Science: Making Climate Change & Sustainability Relevant to Fans
- Concessionaires & Food: Sustainable Best Practices
- Thought Leadership Forum, a deeper dive into the mainstage discussion
- Women, Sports & Environment, continue the conversation in a workshop to identify tools and tactics that participants can take back to their communities