ESPN to Receive Green Sports Alliance Environmental Leadership Award
For efforts in community engagement, social equity and environmental stewardship
On Tuesday evening, June 26, 2018, the Green Sports Alliance will present its annual Environmental Leadership Award to ESPN. The Environmental Leadership Award is among the most prestigious of sports greening awards and is given to an individual or organization that has demonstrated extraordinary leadership towards sustainability, environmental stewardship, and community engagement.
ESPN’s Corporate Citizenship team, led by Vice President Kevin Martinez, champions their mission to “Serve sports fans in the community. Anytime. Anywhere.” ESPN Corporate Citizenship encompasses multi-faceted community initiatives, including employee volunteerism, charitable giving, cause marketing and sustainability, while also utilizing their media assets to reach and uplift diverse communities. The core goal of their work is to use the power of sports to make the world a better place and their efforts are strategically focused across five key areas: access to sports, leadership through sports, good neighbor, environmental sustainability, and the V Foundation.
ESPN’s commitment to environmental sustainability is exemplified in all aspects of their work. Key examples include:
- Since 2008, the ESPYS have been carbon neutral.
- 2018 X Games Aspen had 61% diversion of waste from the landfill.
- The College Football Playoff National Championship Game focuses on waste reduction and food and material/décor recovery, typically donating over 10,000 pounds of food to the community that hosts the game.
- ESPN telecasts, such as College GameDay, engage student volunteers on-site to divert waste from landfill and GameDay donates food and materials to local nonprofit organizations post-show.
- In 2017, 62% of waste from ESPN headquarters in Bristol, Connecticut was diverted from the landfill, with the other 38% sent to a waste-to-energy facility.
- Since 2012, X Games Aspen has diverted over 400,000 pounds of compostable, recyclable, and reusable items from the landfill.
- 2017 ESPYS, 96% of waste recovered and 4% waste-to-energy conversion.
- The ESPN Bristol campus recovered and donated prepared food from its cafeteria, donating more than 13,000 pounds of food in the three years since the program began.
- Commitment to overall Disney corporate long-term environmental stewardship goals focused on reducing emissions, waste, and water consumption.
“At ESPN, acting responsibly is core to our brand,” said Martinez. “We strive to reduce our impact on the environment through careful use of natural resources, and we are committed to minimizing our environmental footprint, improving the health of the planet and inspiring others to do the same. We are proud to be recognized for our environmental efforts and are glad to have Green Sports Alliance’s support for the last few years.”
Past honorees include:
- Jack Groh, director of NFL’s Environmental Program (2017)
- Andrew Ference, captain and defenseman, Edmonton Oilers (2016)
- Doug Behar, New York Yankees vice president of stadium operations (2015)
- Gary Bettman, commissioner, National Hockey League (2014)
- Christina Weiss Lurie, owner, Philadelphia Eagles (2013)
- Allan H. Bud Selig, commissioner emeritus, Major League Baseball (2012)
The award presentation, coupled with the Innovators of the Year awards, are the highlight of the Alliance’s Green Sports Celebration, part of its annual Green Sports Alliance Summit. The awards, now in their seventh year, recognize the best in sports and sustainability. The event is hosted the evening of June 26, 2018, at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta and will be coupled with “A Taste of Atlanta” showcasing innovative concepts in sustainable food and beverage.