Jami Leveen, Director of Community Relations, Aramark
Description of Project or Initiative: Please describe the program or initiative and how the applicant is leading the industry in encouraging environmental and social change in 500 words (4000 characters) or less. Be sure to include how the project or initiative embodies the 2017 Green Sports Alliance Summit Theme, PLAY GREENER ™: Engaging Fans, Athletes, and Communities.
Jami Leveen is passionate about creating sustainable communities and supporting those efforts through business initiatives and strategic partnerships. She lives Aramark’s mission to enrich and nourish lives every day. Since joining the company Jami has helped develop innovative solutions that position Aramark as an industry leader in sustainability and community health and wellness.
Since its inception, Jami has been an active participant and supporter of the Green Sports Alliance and an outspoken advocate for the power of sports to drive sustainability and improve the communities we serve. As Director of Community Relations for Aramark Jami continues to work to develop innovative solutions that put social responsibility goals into action and focuses on initiatives that serve Aramark’s customers and clients while protecting the environment, advancing consumer health and wellness and strengthening communities.
Some examples of the recent endeavors Jami has been involved with include:
(1) Leading Aramark Building Community, the company’s commitment to improve community health and wellness and help people succeed through education and employment in partnership with local community centers. In 2016 the efforts contributed $700,000 in community partner grants and executed nearly 70 projects.
(2) Implementing a health engagement program in ten community centers to encourage people to make better food choices. The program will equip families in underserved communities with the knowledge, skills and confidence to discover, choose and prepare healthy food that helps them reach their goals. They will offer a year-round healthy food discovery and cooking experience combining interactive educational group activities developed in partnership with the American Heart Association alongside health and food related events that engage the entire community.
(3) Supporting Aramark Building Community Day, a one day global demonstration and celebration of our year-round commitment to enriching and nourishing lives in local communities. 10,000 employee volunteers in 15 countries led nearly 500 projects including food tastings, cooking demonstrations, workforce education workshops and donation drives benefiting 130 community partners and nearly 500,000 individuals.
(4) Developing and leading the approach to create FDA-compliant menus for nearly 50 sports venues across Aramark’s portfolio including support for Aramark’s sustainable sourcing and purchasing practices.
(5) Working with culinary and marketing teams to develop healthier food options for sports fans in major league venues.
(6) Partnering with the America Heart Association to develop and implement Healthy for Life® 20 by 20, a five year initiative to improve the health of Americans 20% by 2020. Adding consumer menu commitments that reduce calories, saturated fat and sodium levels 20% and increase fruits, vegetables and whole grains 20%. Introducing community health engagement programs, consumer health awareness and education, thought leadership research and health impact reporting.
Corporate responsibility is core to the Aramark vision and integrated throughout daily operations. Jami embraces these ideals, tirelessly advocates for their implementation and has helped Aramark lead the sports market’s growing commitments to environmental protection and social responsibility. She lives the Green Sports Alliance mission to “leverage the cultural and market influence of sports to promote healthy, sustainable communities where we live and play” (www. https://greensportsalliance.org/).
If possible, provide qualitative or quantitative data that demonstrates the environmental or social impact of your project.
Aramark Building Community impact for 2016 includes 10,000 employee volunteers in 15 countries, 500 projects, 130 community partners, nearly 500,000 individuals, $700,000 community grant funding. Health For Life Impact: Please refer to year one infographic and progress report , Environmental Sustainability Impact – In 2016, Aramark was named recipient of the Henry Spira Humane Corporate Progress Award for our commitment to farm animal welfare and the establishment of our Animal Welfare Principles and Policy.